Thyme Cabernet Gravy
- 1/4 cup Old York Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (plus 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (optional)
- 3 tbsps brown rice flour OR all-purpose flour
- 2 long sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Add onion, garlic, ONLY 1 cup of the broth, salt and pepper to a small pot and stir it well. Bring to a boil, once boiling, turn the heat down to low and cover. Cook for 10 min, stir a couple of times. After 10 min, it should have reduced by about half.
Very slowly add the flour to the pot while whisking at the same time. It will start to thicken immediately.
Add remaining 1 cup of broth, Cabernet, yeast and sprigs of thyme and stir. The herbs will fall off on their own as it cooks. Bring the gravy back to a boil and once boiling, turn to the lowest heat setting and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes until it has thickened up. Check and stir a few times. For thicker gravy cook it a little longer or slowly whisk in another tablespoon of flour. Rice flour is much easier to blend.
Remove from heat and remove thyme sticks. Use a food processor to blend up, but do not over-blend or use a blender, as it will be runny. Serve over your favorite vegetables