Southpaw Red Spinach Salad With Sweet & Spicy Pecans Recipe
- 1 cup Old York Cellars Southpaw Red
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE PECANS
- 1/2 cup Pecans (or 1/2 cup Walnuts)
- 1 tbsp Confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp Canola oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- FOR THE SALAD
- 12 cups Spinach (or 12 cups baby greens)
- 2 Apples cut into thin wedges (or 2 pears)
- 1 oz Blue cheese crumbles (or cheese of your choice)
- 1/4 cup Red onion (sliced or chopped)
- Black olives (optional)
To make dressing, reduce the Old York Cellars Southpaw Red wine to 3 tablespoons.
Transfer the Southpaw Red syrup to another container, and whisk in balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil.
Dressing may be made in advance, and re-whisked before serving.
Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Using a strainer or sieve, dip nuts in boiling water for one minute (this removes some of the bitterness from the nuts)
Transfer nuts to a bowl and immediately sprinkle with sugar. Mix until all of the sugar is melted.
Heat canola oil on medium high heat in a nonstick pan. Sauté nuts for a few minutes. The nuts will become sort of candied.
Scatter nuts on a plate and sprinkle with spices. Toss the nuts to coat. Stir occasionally as nuts are cooling.
Toss spinach with dressing, and arrange apples, red onions, nuts, and blue cheese over the salad.
Cheers & Enjoy with your Favorite Glass of Old York Cellars Wine!