Southpaw Red Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 lb Mushrooms, stems removed, divided, ¾ of them finely minced, ¼ of them sliced
- 2 Shallots, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Old York Cellars Southpaw Red
- 4 cups Unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups Light cream
- Grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a large sauce pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Grate the garlic into the pot and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the diced mushrooms and thyme leaves and cook another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, and stir continuously for about a minute. Pour the Old York Cellars Southpaw Red into the pot and stir for 1 minute, until the mixture is thick. Stir in 1 cup of the chicken stock. Remove the pot from the heat, and puree with an immersion blender. Return to the heat.
- Stir in the remaining chicken stock and the sliced mushrooms. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste
- Serve with crusty bread
Cheers & Enjoy with a Glass of your favorite Old York Cellars Wine!