Syrah - Coq au Vin
- 1 bottle Old York Cellars Syrah
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 3 thick slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 6 to 8 large bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds total)
- 1 handful of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 8 to 10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, rinsed and halved (optional)
- 20 whole baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a large plate.
Shake the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour in a paper or plastic bag. Brown the chicken in the pot, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the plate with the bacon.
Sauté the mushrooms (if using), carrots, garlic, and onions in the pot until they just begin to brown, 5 minutes. Pour half of the Syrah wine into the pan and cook over high heat for about 8 minutes.
Add the broth and the remaining wine. Bring to a boil and add the chicken, bacon, and herbs. Return to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme and serve.
Cheers & Enjoy!